Fees and Funding


The fees for individual nurseries are listed on the Nursery Information and Application pages (Click on individual nursery tab) 

For an overview of approximate nursery fees (per annum) please see table below.


 University Childcare Provision Full time
£ p.a.
Full time
£ p.a.

University Place at University Nursery

(Bradmore Road,Mansion House, Jack Straws Lane and Woodstock Road)

4mths-5 yrs


University Place at Bright Horizons Private Nursery 

(Milton Park, Harwell and Oxford Business Park)


(Approximate figure given, please check with provider for exact costing)

4mths-5 yrs



University Place at Childbase Nursery

(Sandfield and Julia Durbin)

(Approximate figure given, please check with provider for exact costing)

0-2 years






University Place at Co-operative Childcare Nursery

(Oxford Station and JR Hospital)

(Approximate figure given, please check with provider for exact costing)

4mths-2 yrs


 2+ yrs


University Place at Oxford Montessori Schools  

(Figure given for day nursery provision, term time only: All day care will be more expensive)

2-3 yrs


3+ yrs



*Table updated August 2017

Please read all the notes before applying for a nursery place. If you have further queries you can e-mail childcarefinance@admin.ox.ac.uk 


For further information on funding please contact the Student Fees and Funding Team, Examination Schools, Oxford, OX1 4BG. Email: student.funding@admin.ox.ac.uk

Childcare Grant

Who is eligible:

Full time undergraduate (and PGCE) students with dependent children in approved registered childcare

Available through your regional funding body. The level of assistance you receive is based on your actual childcare costs and takes into account your household income and the number of children who are dependent on you. You should apply for the Childcare Grant when you apply to your regional funding body for financial support. You can find details of how to do this on the relevant regional funding body website. Please note that the Student Awards Agency Scotland have different arrangements: see their website for further details.

To qualify for a Childcare Grant you must:

  • Be a full-time student
  • Your child must be under 15, or 17 if they have special educational needs
  • Have a student finance package or be eligible for one
  • Use a registered childcare provider

You cannot claim a Childcare Grant if you or your partner are claiming the childcare element of Working Tax Credits or Universal Credit.

Parents Learning Allowance (PLA)

Who is eligible:

Students from England, Wales or Northern Ireland with dependant children, taking a fulltime undergraduate course or an Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course.  You do not need to be paying for childcare to qualify.

Available through your regional funding body in the same way as the Childcare Grant.

Child Tax Credit (CTC)

Who is eligible:

You could get Child Tax Credit for each child you are responsible for if they are under 16 years of age or under 20 years of age and in approved education or training.  You do not need to be working to claim Child Tax Credit and it will not affect your Child Benefit.  You cannot claim tax credits and Universal Credit at the same time.

You can check how much you could receive by using the tax credit calculator, and make a claim online, at www.gov.uk/child-tax-credit .

Please note that most visa holders are not permitted to claim Tax Credits as these are classed as Public Funds. If you hold a student visa or a visa for your employment with the University you should contact Student Immigration (https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/visa) or the Staff Immigration Team (http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/personnel/permits), respectively, for advice.

Working Tax Credit (WTC)

Who is eligible:

You could get Working Tax Credit (WTC) if: you are aged from 16 to 24 and have a child or a qualifying disability, or you are 25 or over with or without children.  You must: work a certain number of hours a week; get paid for the work you do (or expect to); have an income below a certain level.  The basic amount of Working Tax Credit is up to £1,960 a year.  You could get more or less depending on your circumstances and income.  You cannot claim tax credits and Universal Credit at the same time.

You do not have to claim the childcare element of the WTC, full time students have a choice between receiving either the WTC childcare element or the Childcare Grant. Full time students cannot claim both.

WTC is paid to working people on a low income. To qualify for the childcare element of the WTC a lone parent must work at least sixteen hours per week and couples must work at least 24 hours between them (with one person working at least 16 hours). 

To find out more, go to www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit .

Access to Learning Fund (ALF)

Who is eligible

Matriculated students with a Home fee status who need extra financial assistance.

 Application forms are available from your College Hardship Officer or by contacting student.funding@admin.ox.ac.uk, please see: https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/fees-funding/assistance/hardship/alf?wssl=1 for more information.