The Equality and Diversity Unit supports and guides the University in its aim to provide an inclusive environment which promotes equality, values diversity and maintains a working, learning and social environment in which the rights and dignity of all of its staff and students are respected to assist them in reaching their full potential.
The Unit's core objectives:
- Responsibility for considering all existing and emerging equality legislation with a view to identifying relevant issues, which are then translated into policies by relevant University bodies.
- Provide information and guidance to divisions, departments, faculties and Colleges, to enable them to discharge their responsibilities.
- Support senior members of the University in showing leadership on equality and diversity issues.
- Facilitate central consultation on equality and diversity issues with specific groups of staff and students.
- Monitor key strategic issues and produce publications for approval by the relevant bodies, as appropriate.
- Provide support services to staff and students with regard to harassment issues, childcare, disabilities (including specific learning difficulties) and recruitment monitoring.
- Ensure that the head of E&D and the Unit's staff have the knowledge, skills and experience required to deliver the other objectives in a way that fits with Oxford's position as a world-class university.