Other Childcare Provision

College Nurseries

Some colleges have their own nurseries. Priority is given to staff and students who are members of the respective college, although many do accept applications from staff and students from other colleges when places are available. College nurseries are independent, with their own rates and policies, and are separate to the University’s nursery provision. Contact the colleges direct for details of application procedures, fees and visits to the nurseries. See also childcare vouchers.

Balliol College Nursery 

2a Rawlinson Road 

Tel: (01865) 515654


Wolfson College Nursery

Linton Road

Email: daynursery@wolfson.ox.ac.uk 

Tel: 01865 (2)74085


 St. Paul’s Nursery (Somerville College)

119a Walton Street

Tel: 01865 (2)70686


St. Anne’s College Nursery

St Anne's nursery is open to all.

48 Woodstock Road

Tel: 01865 (2)74868


Private Day Nurseries in Oxfordshire

You can search for local lists of private day nurseries via Oxfordshire Family Information Service. Terms, conditions and fees will vary.

A reliable nursery should be registered with OFSTED (Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills: OFSTED) who regulate the quality of education (including pre-school education), providing inspection reports that are publically available for parents and guardians to view. It is worth reading these reports for nurseries you are interested in.

Childcare Vouchers (employees only)

The University offers child care vouchers to eligible staff as an opportunity to save tax and national insurance on other childcare costs. The vouchers can be used for registered childcare facilities such as fees for non-university nurseries, before and after school clubs, holiday play schemes, childminders, nannies and crèche facilities including those at swimming pools, gyms and supermarkets.

Schools and Holiday Play Schemes in Oxfordshire

The University works in partnership with play scheme providers to support families during the school holiday periods. View the University of Oxford Childcare Services website for further details.

For information about applying for a place at a local school in Oxfordshire visit Oxfordshire Family Information Service www.oxonfis.org.uk.

OFSTED provide inspection reports on the quality of teaching and education at all state schools in England and Wales. Parents and guardians can view OFTED reports by visiting their website www.ofsted.gov.uk

If you intend to send your child to a private school you must contact them individually. Most private schools have useful prospectuses and websites.