The University's main waste contractor, Grundon, recycles cardboard, paper, tins, cans, plastic and glass – all in the same recycling box. The materials are then sorted for recycling at the Grundon material recycling facility.
Ways to encourage recycling
- If your office is based near other University buildings, it could be cost effective to combine recycling facilities with them.
- Provide desk top recycling containers for staff/students in the building. You can buy these from Grundon.
- Provide fewer waste bins so that staff/students are incentivised to use the recycling boxes provided by your department.
- Provide clearly labelled recycling boxes near photocopiers and printers and also in staff/student eating areas.
- Purchase recycled paper mixed with FSC content – this "closes the recycling loop" by making sure there are end products and markets for recycled materials
- Ask suppliers and contractors to make recycled-content products available. For example, Office Depot has a large range of recycled products.