22 March 2016

Radcliffe Infirmary Outpatients’ Building restored

Following a dramatic £14.1m renovation, the former Radcliffe Infirmary’s Outpatients’ Building is opening its doors this week to host researchers in the Nuffield Department of Primary Care Health Sciences.

Outpatients The building has been renamed the Radcliffe Primary Care Building and an official opening ceremony is scheduled for later this year. The 1911 Grade II listed building, which has been empty since before it was sold to the University in 2007, is linked with several significant advances in healthcare. In 1941 it was the site of the country’s first accident and emergency service and, in the same year, penicillin was administered to a patient for the first time in the world.

While the building has undergone an extensive redesign by Niall McLaughlin Architects, it still retains some of its original features, including a cold storage cupboard that was used for clinical laboratory samples, the wood-panelled Chapel of Praise, and the hospital donation box. The original stonework façade has been restored and augmented with triple-height glass windows, allowing natural light to flood throughout the building, creating light and airy spaces and extraordinary views of the 18th century Triton fountain and St Luke’s Chapel in the nearby courtyard.

The FM team have worked closely with the department and other Estates colleagues for many months to ensure a 'soft landing' approach to the delivery and occupation of the new building. The FM team helped the department smoothly relocate from New Radcliffe House and the Gibson Building, shifting over 1000 crates and setting up 202 desks. A new interactive video about the sustainability features of the building has also been produced.