Car sharing scheme
The University of Oxford has teamed up with the largest car-share network in the UK to provide staff with its very own Journeyshare scheme which enables staff to match car, walking and cycling in and around Oxfordshire.
This Journeyshare scheme is free to use and is currently available to staff with a University of Oxford or affiliated email address.
To use the scheme, just register yourself and your journey details. The system will then match you with other registered members who live nearby and with whom you could share the journey to and from the University.
- Eligibility for University Car Parking Peak Time Permit
- Procedure for applying for a formal car share peak time permit
- Guaranteed Ride Home
Eligibility for University Car Parking Peak Time Permit
Each year a specified number of University car parking peak time permits (50 permits for 2013) will be made available to formal car share teams ahead of the general application round.
To be eligible to apply early for a peak time permit the formal car share team must meet the following criteria:
- all members of the team are registered as CarBUDi's on the Journeyshare scheme
- at least 50% of the team are employed by the University of Oxford
- at least two members of the team live more than 3 miles from their place of work
- at least two members of the team share a ride to work at least three days a week (excluding periods when members are on annual leave or other authorised absence)
Members of a formal car share team issued with a car share peak-time permit are not allowed to hold individual peak-time permits at the same time.
If any member of a formal car share team is frequently found to be driving to work on their own, the team's permit will be withdrawn.
Procedure for applying for a formal car share peak time permit
A formal car share team will be issued with one special permit, which can be used on any car in the team.
The following procedure has been set up for formal car share teams wishing to apply for a University car parking peak time permit:
- Each member of the team must be registered on the Journeyshare scheme
- Each University member of the team completes the declaration section of Part A and all of Part B of the University car parking application form
- One University member of the team is designated the 'prime holder' of the permit and additionally completes the payment section of Part A of the University car parking application form (the 'prime holder' will be charged for the permit and it is their responsibility to get the other members of the team to repay their share)
- Application forms are sent together as a team to –
Guaranteed Ride Home
Members of a formal car share team employed by the University of Oxford who are unable to car share as usual are guaranteed a taxi ride home, for example due to a domestic emergency or a requirement to work late at short notice. This does not apply if the unusual circumstances could have been anticipated and planned for.
Applications for reimbursement for taxis due to late working should be made to the relevant departmental administrator (details on how to claim are available in the Finance expenses and benefits guide).
Applications for reimbursement for taxi rides home due to an emergency should be made to the University Sustainable Travel Officer.