Casual payment process FAQS

What should I do if the engagement is for longer than 12 weeks?

If the engagement covers a period of more than 12 weeks (one year for casual teachers) you should set them up on a full University contract.  Please refer to the Personnel Services web pages for further details.

Are casual workers entitled to annual leave?

All casual workers are entitled to statutory paid annual leave.  See the Personnel Services web pages. Payment for annual leave taken should be included on the casual payment spreadsheet in hours using the relevant pay code for Holiday Pay.

How do I find out the CoreHR format for the project codes?

The casual payment spreadsheet requires departments to enter the project code in the CoreHR format (not the Oracle R12 format). 

You can locate the Core format for a project code by looking it up in the cost allocation screen in the CorePersonnel back office.  Alternatively, report PERDEP13_Active Cost Centres and Project Codes allows you to search for the Core project code on a variety of criteria such as department code, all or part of the Oracle code, or all or part of the description. The report then returns all matching codes in both the Oracle and CoreHR formats. 

Where can I find out the appointment ID for my casual worker?

If you are completing the casual worker payment spreadsheet but you do not have access to CoreHR, you will need to ask the person in your department who is responsible for creating the casual worker records in CoreHR to provide you with this information.  

If you would like access to CoreHR on a read-only or reporting basis for this purpose, please follow the HRIS process for arranging access.

How do I update my casual payment authorised signatory register?

E-mail and they will send you your signatory register for updating.

Why do I have to put a separate row on the payment spreadsheet for every week worked?

New legislation, which came into force in March 2017, requires public sector bodies, including the University, to report on gender pay gaps for its whole workforce, including casual workers. To meet this legal requirement it is necessary for us to record hours worked on a weekly basis against an hourly rate. Capturing this information has other benefits; it enables the University to monitor compliance with hours restrictions on certain visas and gives us visibility of compliance with our duty as a Living Wage employer.  For more information, including guidance on hours worked, see the Gender pay gap reporting page on the Personnel Services website.

The spreadsheet is not allowing me to enter the date the work was undertaken – what shall I do?

It is important to submit timesheets to Payroll as soon as possible after the work has been undertaken.  If you have any outstanding payments for work that pre-dates the 52 week range permitted on the payment spreadsheet please email for advice on what action to take.

How do I password protect my payment spreadsheet?

You must password protect your payment spreadsheet with the password provided to you by Payroll or the HRIS Support Centre before submitting it.  See the Information Security video for guidance on how to password protect an Excel spreadsheet. If you do not know your password, please contact the Payroll team on 01865 (6)16301.

Does the spreadsheet calculate the hours multiplied by the pay rate?

Yes. The final column on the spreadsheet shows the total value for each line (either the cash value entered or the hours multiplied by the hourly rate).

Some departments have more than one user who administers certain records or areas. Can each person send a separate spreadsheet or will Payroll only accept one per department per month?

Payroll would prefer to have one submission. Multiple submissions from the same department risks creating duplicate payments.

Can records from more than one department code be entered on the same spreadsheet if the authorised signatory is the same?

Yes, Payroll would prefer to receive fewer spreadsheets so please combine different department codes on the same spreadsheet wherever possible.

Can we enter advance payments on the spreadsheet where the individual is working set hours each week, e.g. all of October’s hours on the spreadsheet submitted by the October deadline?

No, the spreadsheet must be completed retrospectively - i.e. only hours that have been worked should be submitted for payment.

Do I need to send a P45 or staff starter form to Payroll?

Yes the P45 (or staff starter form (P46) if no P45 is available) should be sent to Payroll as soon as possible after the worker has arrived.

Can payments be made to foreign bank accounts?

Payments cannot be made directly into foreign bank accounts via the payroll. These payment requests have to be made through Accounts Payable. This process can take several days longer than payment into a UK bank so the individual should be prepared for a delay.