Online Store Facility
The University's Online Store facility is a convenient way for departments to sell goods and services via the Internet. Numerous departments and colleges are already successfully running online stores.
Benefits of using the Online Store
- Customers worldwide can purchase items at any time
- Fully secure environment for processing card payments
- Automatic email alert sent to the department
- No invoices - automatic receipt sent to customer
- No handling of cash or cheques
- Flexible reporting system
- Full records and audit trails held online
- No chasing payment
- Minimal payment queries
- Facility is free to University departments
- The ability to attribute Finance Codes to each Product, Course or Event
- From the second half of 2012, the option for customers to pay in their local currency
The University has purchased three modules for use within the Store:
- Product Catalogue - for goods and services and straightforward events
- Conferences and events - for more complex events
- Short Courses- for Courses and some events
For assistance in choosing which of these modules is required, please refer to the Cashiers (University access only).
A range of reports is available to assist departments in monitoring sales and maintaining records- these include the facility to choose which fields you require to be included in the report. In addition, full customer and transaction records can be found in the administration area of the Store.
All transaction information is passed to the University's Payment Service Provider who processes the payments and deposits the funds in the University's bank account approximately 3 working days after the sale. The income will appear as a daily figure in departmental accounts in Oracle Financials within a few days, according to the information supplied by the department.
Entries will appear in Oracle Financials General Ledger approximately 5 days after the transaction as a daily total of transactions for each Department - Cashiers do not receive information on individual customer names, although departments can access this information in the Administration area of the Store.
In addition, departments can export Transaction Reports from the Store into Excel to enable them to reconcile funds received against their Oracle Cost Centre.
Transaction charges are passed on in accordance with rates charged by our Payment Service Provider. These vary according to the type of card used but typically the average overall cost should not be more than 1.4% per transaction.
Departments can apply to use and manage their own area of the Store or it can be managed centrally by the Cashiers. The latter option is suitable for those departments with the occasional or one-off requirement to use the Store and will mean that items will be set up on their behalf, although users will be expected to access the Store for reporting purposes. Regular users should set up and manage their own items.
Procedure and contact details
- If a department wishes to manage their own Store, they should apply using the Online Payments Application Form (38kb)
- If a department chooses Department choses the centrally managed option, they should submit a Online Store Set Up Request Form (43kb)
- Before completing either form the standard Terms and Conditions for Online Sales must be read, noting in particular refund/cancellation policy as specified in clause 7)
- Cashiers set up the department shop/items and Users accordingly
- Department/users will be automatically referred to Finance Training for support in use of the Store
- For the self-managed option, the 'empty' Shop will be passed back to the department who will add their products and link it to their website
- Departments will receive email alerts of transactions as they occur
- Funds arrive in the University bank account approximately 3 days later and will be posted in Oracle to the Cost Centre specified by the department
- Any refunds required will be undertaken by Cashiers on receipt of an instruction from the department including full details of the transaction.
For further information on access to the online store facility, please contact:
Cashiers (University access only)
Telephone: 01865 (6)16083
Fax: 01865 (6)16001
If you're an existing store user, then please address your queries to:
Telephone: 01865 (2)84800
Fax: 01865 (2)84880