How to make a complaint

This procedure is to be applied to complaints which have arisen from lettings and occupation within the properties owned and controlled by the University and used for Graduate Accommodation, managed by the Graduate Accommodation Office.

The University treats any complaints about its accommodation, the management of its accommodation or a member of the Graduate Accommodation Office very seriously and we hope to resolve these to your satisfaction as quickly as possible.

The relationship between the University, acting as a Landlord, and their tenants on the estate is governed in the first instance by the tenancy agreement and any legislation applicable to that agreement, resident’s handbook and policies. There will also, from time to time, be Regulations put forward by the Office which apply to property within the estate. These documents govern the relationship between the two parties.

However, where the tenancy agreement and/or Regulations do not put forward a clear solution to the problem the following procedure should be followed.

Stage 1 – Informal

In the first instance we ask that you visit or contact the member of staff who delivered the service you are dissatisfied with. The member of staff will work with you to find a satisfactory resolution. We aim to resolve your complaint within five working days.

Stage 2 - Formal

If you are not satisfied with the resolution or the way in which your complaint has been dealt with we ask that you make a formal complaint by visiting or contacting the Graduate Accommodation Office (, 01865 280923). A member of our senior staff will investigate your complaint and respond to you directly, detailing any remedial action. We will confirm that you are satisfied with the resolution of your complaint before we close the matter. We aim to respond fully to all formal complaints within 10 working days, but will keep you informed if our investigations take longer.

Stage 3 – Panel

If you remain dissatisfied with the resolution proposed you can submit your complaint for investigation by our Complaints Panel. The panel will comprise the Head of Graduate Accommodation, a representative from OUSU and, where applicable, a colleague from the University with sufficient expertise relating to your complaint. To ensure the panel has full information relating to your complaint we have created a form which you can find on the right of this page. If you do not wish to use the form you can still call or email us, but we ask that you provide the information requested in the form.

The panel will confirm receipt of your complaint within 1 working day, and will send a full response within 20 working days of the form being received. If our investigations take longer than 20 working days we will keep you informed of the progress of your complaint.

In addition to the above procedure, there are further options should you remain dissatisfied with the way we have dealt with your complaint.

Proctor’s Office

Complaints can be made to the Proctor’s Office:
Proctors' Office
University Offices
Wellington Square

Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education

Complaints can be made to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (