Staff Immigration Team

From 1 August 2014 new University procedures for Tier 2 and Tier 5 sponsorship came into effect

The new procedures were introduced at the Immigration Compliance and Right to Work training sessions in June and July 2014. If you missed the training there is an additional session on 4 September. The training slides are also available from the training webpage.

In outline the new procedures are as follows:

  • Existing Tier 2 and Tier 5 sponsored migrants

Please send data for existing migrants to as soon as you are able to and before mid-September 2014. The data checklist for existing sponsored migrants and the Data Protection Consent Form are on our forms and guidance notes page.  Departments with a large number of migrants may prefer to send the data in batches rather than all at once.

Please ensure that any changes are reported within 5 working days using the Changes and Leavers form.

  •  New Tier 2 and Tier 5 Applications for Sponsorship

New Tier 2 and Tier 5 Certificate of Sponsorship Application Forms, Arrival Forms, Changes and Leavers Forms, Recruitment Decision Summary Forms and process flowcharts are available on our forms and guidance notes page. Please continue to send new Certificate of Sponsorship applications to the Staff Immigration Team members directly (not to the temporary email address for existing migrants).

Guidance on Immigration and Sponsoring Migrants

The Home Office Points-Based System is used to determine overseas migrants’ rights to enter and work in the UK. Currently there are five ‘tiers’ (and several sub-tiers) in the points-based system. The University has a sponsorship licence from the Home Office for Tier 2 and Tier 5 migrants. 

The guidance on this website should answer most of your questions regarding Certificates of Sponsorship and work visas. However, if you require any practical advice on procedures or the likelihood of obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship in particular circumstances please contact us.

Guidance on Right to Work checks for all staff

We have a legal responsibility to ensure that we do not employ anybody who does not have the right to work in the UK and must therefore check that all staff have the right to work in the UK before any work commences. The Home Office stipulates which documents can prove a person’s Right to Work in the UK (Right to Work Checklist (54kb)). Any staff whose right to work depends on documents designated as List B by the Home Office will need a repeat right to work check if you wish to continue their employment beyond the expiry date of their existing visa. Departments and colleges must keep an up to date list of List B document holders and the expiry dates of their right to work.  

Please see Right to Work Checks for further information and guidance on procedures.

About us

The University's Staff Immigration Team processes applications for Certificates of Sponsorship and visa extensions under Tier 2 (General) for sponsored skilled workers with a job offer, Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) for temporary workers and applications for a Worker Authorisation (Purple) Registration Certificate for Croatian nationals.

Any other visa applications such as Tier 1, Indefinite Leave to Remain (settlement) and EEA family permit applications should be dealt with by the individual, although we would be happy to give advice where possible.