Staff Immigration Team
The University's Staff Immigration Team provides the following immigration services to University departments and colleges:
- Guidance on application requirements and Home Office rules for Tier 2 (General) and Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange)
- Process applications for Certificates of Sponsorship under Tier 2 (General) and Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange)
- Process applications for leave to remain (from within the UK) under Tier 2 (General) and Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange)
- Process applications for Worker Authorisation (Purple) Registration Certificates for Croatian nationals
- Briefing Sessions about immigration for Tier 2 and Tier 5 sponsored visa holders
- Guidance on Academic, Business and Permitted Paid Engagement visitor rules and restrictions
- Guidance on right to work checks
- Legal referral service for complex immigration matters
- Regular training sessions covering immigration and right to work
Staff Immigration and Right to Work News Bulletin – October 2016
We have issued a SIT news bulletin 31 October 2016 (446kb) which contains news of important changes and some reminders.
The bulletin includes:
- News of the Information sessions for EU/EEA staff which have been held by SIT
- A recommendation that, due to longer processing times, CoS extension applications should be submitted urgently for those whose visas expire in December and who intend to travel over the December closure period.
- Details of our new ‘Client care & conditions’ form which must be signed by the applicant and submitted with all Tier 2 and Tier 5 CoS applications.
- A reminder that any negotiations on start date or salary should be finalised before a Tier 2 CoS application is submitted.
- A reminder that the six year maximum length of time spent under Tier 2 will start to affect some Tier 2 visa holders from April 2016 but SIT will be contacting those affected.
- Details of increases in the Tier 2 minimum salary threshold expected in the next month and in April 2017.
- Reminders that English language test and Tuberculosis pre-screening tests are only accepted if they have been taken at approved centres.
- Details of changes to the Police Registration process.
- A reminder that any changes in Tier 2 visa holders’ salary as a result of the 2016 Recognition of Distinction Awards must be reported to SIT.
- Notice that it is now mandatory for all staff whose job description includes checking right to work documents to attend a Right to Work training session if they have not already done so.
- Details of changes to criminal offences relating to illegal employment introduced in the Immigration Act 2016.
- Notice of a declaration which now must be made stating explicitly the date on which a right to work check was carried out.
- Information about sharing right to work data for List A casual workers between departments and colleges.
- Notice of changes to the casual payment process to improve visibility of immigration compliance.
- A link to a new website launched by the International Strategy Office to support International visiting researchers.
Our website has been updated with the latest information.
Places are available on upcoming immigration and right to work training sessions. Please see our training page for available dates and the booking form.
Staff Immigration Team – Staff news
We are sorry to announce Natalie Goldsmith has left the University. She has been a key member of the Staff Immigration Team for many years and her expertise and knowledge will be greatly missed. We will be announcing some changes within the Staff Immigration Team in the near future as a result of Natalie’s departure. In the interim please direct any queries you previously would have sent to Natalie to Tim Currie on 89903 or email@example.com
International Staff Welcome site
A newly updated and improved International Staff Welcome site will be launched shortly on the Drupal platform. The site offers guidance on how to relocate and settle as quickly as possible with topics covered including schooling, housing, resources for partners, and other information which new international staff should find useful. The new website will be accessible from the current address: http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/personnel/staffinfo/international/