Tier 1 Post-Study Workers

The Tier 1 Post-Study Worker route closed with effect from 6 April 2012.

From 6 April 2012 most Tier 4/ student visa holders who wish to remain in the UK after their studies to work will be able to switch into Tier 2 if they meet all of the following criteria:

  • they have current leave which has not expired in one of the following categories:
    • Tier 4 (General);
    • Student;
    • Student Nurse;
    • Student re-sitting an examination;
    • Person writing up a thesis;
    • Postgraduate Doctor or Dentist;
    • An Overseas Qualified Nurse or Midwife; or
    • Student Union Sabbatical Officer; and
  • they have successfully completed and passed a UK recognised bachelor or postgraduate degree, Postgraduate Certificate in Education or Professional Graduate Diploma of Education or have completed a minimum of 12 months study in the UK towards a UK PhD during their current period of leave or a period of continuous leave which includes the last grant of leave; and
  • they studied for the eligible award at a UK institution that is a UK recognised or listed body, or an education provider which holds a licence for sponsoring students under Tier 4 of the Points-Based System; and
  • they are applying from inside the UK.

Please refer to the Tier 2 section of our website for information on making an application under Tier 2.