The University's allocation of Tier 2 Certificates of Sponsorship
For in-country applicants, including those who are extending a current Tier 2 or old-style work visa, as well as those in other immigration categories who are eligible to switch into Tier 2 (General) from within the UK, the University holds a separate allocation of Certificates of Sponsorship which can be issued to eligible migrants without specific permission from the Home Office. Certificates from this allocation cannot be used for applicants from overseas.
The application process for in-country applicants differs, depending on whether the migrant is required to make an initial application (e.g. a Tier 2 visa holder switching from another employer, or switching from another immigration category), or whether they are applying for an extension to a Tier 2 visa currently sponsored by the University.
The University is able to issue Tier 2 Certificates of Sponsorship from its own allocation to the following categories of migrant, providing the post and the migrant meet the current Tier 2 requirements.
Complete the Tier 2 CoS extension application form (89kb) for those:
- currently on a Tier 2, Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur), or old-style work visa sponsored by the University who are continuing to work for the same department, in the same post as the original visa was issued for
- those currently on a, Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur), Tier 2 or old-style work visa sponsored by the University who will change jobs within the University, but will continue to work in the same type of job (e.g. research, teaching, IT) as their current visa was issued for
Complete the Tier 2 initial CoS application form (181kb) for those:
- currently on a Tier 1 (Post-Study Worker) visa
- currently on a Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa
- currently on a Tier 2 or old-style work visa sponsored by another organisation
- currently on a Tier 2 or old-style work visa sponsored by the University, but who will be changing jobs within the University to a different type of role (e.g. a researcher taking up a new post as a University Lecturer)
- currently on a Tier 4 (student) visa where:
- they have successfully completed and passed a UK recognised bachelor or postgraduate degree, Postgraduate Certificate in Education or Professional Graduate Diploma of Education or have completed a minimum of 12 months study in the UK towards a UK PhD during their current period of leave or a period of continuous leave which includes the last grant of leave; and
- they studied for the eligible award at a UK institution that is a UK recognised or listed body, or an education provider which holds a licence for sponsoring students under Tier 4 of the Points-Based System; and
- they are applying from inside the UK.
- an initial Tier 2 applicant (both overseas and within the UK) where the post has an annual salary of £155,300 or more.
Where the Staff Immigration Team approves a Certificate of Sponsorship application, the Certificate of Sponsorship will be issued to the migrant as soon as possible.
A Certificate of Sponsorship will be emailed to the migrant by the Staff Immigration Team. The migrant will need a Certificate of Sponsorship before they apply for their leave to remain (visa) in the UK.