Appointment decisions and offers
After the interviews and any selection tests are complete, the panel should identify a preferred candidate against the selection criteria for the post. Where there are priority candidates amongst those interviewed, it is important the University's procedure concerning consideration of priority candidates is followed.
Before progressing to making an offer the following should be considered
- Satisfactory references should have been received, particularly for internal candidates.
- The appointment decision should be agreed by someone who has been authorised to offer employment (usually Head of Department and Administrator, or equivalent).
- An initial job offer may be made verbally, in order to agree salary and start date, but should state clearly any conditions that must be fulfilled.
- Such a verbal offer may be followed up by a formal offer letter. An Offer letter (84kb) is available covering the key conditions such as right to work, occupational health screening and other pre-employment checks that may be required. (This will be available to autopopulate from CoreHR in early 2012.)
- Any necessary pre-employment checks should be commenced, and must be completed before a new employee commences work.
- If the individual is already employed by the University and the new employment would be an additional employment, the guidance on dual appointments should be followed.
- If the individual to be appointed is under 18, or a relative of a member of the panel then the relevant guidance must be followed.
- Once all conditions as outlined in the offer letter, and satisfactory outcomes of pre-employment checking have been received, a formal contract of employment can be raised.
- Manage statuses - REC00 Recruitment Basics (330kb)
If no suitable candidate can be identified then departments may wish to readvertise the post, or consider whether revising the duties, grade or other aspects of the post which may attract more appropriate applicants. In such cases advice should be sought from the Reward team as to whether the post needs to be resubmitted for grading.
Manage statuses via CoreHR
|Vacancy Status||Change to Offer made or No Appointment made as appropriate||Interviews completed|
|Applicant Status||Change to Offer made||Offer made to preferred candidate|
|Vacancy Status||Change to Appointment made or No Appointment made as appropriate||Applicant responds to offer|
|Applicant Status||Change to Offer accepted - Personnel or Offer Refused as appropriate||Applicant responds to offer|
Refer also to the Statuses and events (62kb) summary.