ResearchProfessional.com training and guidance
ResearchProfessional.com is an online research funding opportunities database subscribed to by the University and freely accessible to everyone at Oxford University. Registering with ResearchProfessional for the first time only works if you register 'on campus', using your department's/ college's wifi (not eduroam). Please note that RP.com is not compatible with Internet Explorer 8 or below.
- Hands-on training sessions for RP.com at Oxford
- Divisional demos at Oxford in 2015
- Online Demos from ResearchProfessional.com
- Download our Quick Start Guide
- Download our Search Tips, Do's and Dont's and popular Example Searches
- Download our ResearchProfessional.com Guide to using the Calendar functionality
Hands-on training sessions for RP.com at Oxford
Designed to give you an introduction to RP.com and an explanation of how the search works, along with key hints and tips, these termly hands-on training sessions at IT Services include demonstrations as well as time to use the database to set-up your own searches with guidance. They are also suitable for those thinking of becoming a Workgroup Editor.
Please note that teaching time is about 1 hour, with some time allowed for questions.
Trinity term 2015 session
- 12 May 2015, 10 - 11.30 am. Book your place.
Key points covered include:
- How to set up a search and get some example searches, e.g. for early-career, travel, hosting visits
- How funding opportunities are indexed by discipline in ResearchProfessional
- Why just using 'Full Text' is the worst way of searching the database
- How to set-up your searches as email alerts
If you can't make these hands-on sessions, please refer to the following guides and presentation slides and consider the alternative training options listed on this page.
- General training slides for RP hands-on sessions (515kb)
- How best to search for funding opportunities on RP.com (759kb)
- ResearchProfessional Quick Start Guide (251kb)
Divisional demos at Oxford in 2015
We are pleased to announce that representatives of ResearchProfessional.com and Research Services will hold two divisional ResearchProfessional demos for Humanities and Social Sciences on Thursday, 4 June 2015. The events are free, but as there is limited space please register via the relevant Doodle polls below.
Thursday, 4 June, 10 am - 11.30 am, Top Floor Seminar Room, Radcliffe Humanities Building (see map).
Intended audience: Oxford post-graduates/post-doctoral staff, academics/contract researchers, research support staff, and anyone else interested in finding research funding in the Arts & Humanities. Please register for this free Arts & Humanities event via Doodle.
Thursday, 4 June, 2.30 pm - 4 pm, Clore Lecture Room, Said Business School (see map)
Intended audience: Oxford post-graduates/post-doctoral staff, academics/contract researchers, research support staff, and anyone else interested in finding research funding in the Social Sciences. Please register for this free Social Sciences event via Doodle.
Although we are advertising these events as max. 1.5 hour sessions, we have booked the seminar rooms for 2 hours just in case there are any further questions we can help with on the day.
For further information about ResearchProfessional.com please see our Find Funding pages.
Previous divisional demos for MPLS and Medical Sciences, April 2015
Two divisional demos for MPLS and Medical Sciences were held by Research Services and a representative of ResearchProfessional.com on 20 April 2015. Please find the presentation slides below:
- Med Sci demo, Apr 2015: Find funding on RP.com & info on other resources (485kb)
- MPLS demo, Apr 2015: Find funding on RP.com & info on other resources (435kb)
Online Demos from ResearchProfessional.com
General online demos, provided directly by ResearchProfessional.com, usually take place on the fourth Tuesday of each month, between 10 am and 11 am (UK time). They provide an introduction to RP.com and a basic overview of the search functionality. Whilst they are a useful introduction, we recommend you also read our ResearchProfessional Quick Start Guide (251kb) and How best to search for funding opportunities on RP.com (759kb) for search guidance, and especially recommend to avoid the free text search as this tends to return unreliable results.
You can view these demonstrations from your own PC, and can choose to receive sound either via your computer's microphone and speakers, or by phoning in to a voice conference. You will be able to ask questions by using a text chat feature.
To register for an online session, click on the date you would like to attend on the ResearchProfessional.com Help site (under 'Networked Sessions').
Download our Quick Start GuideOur Quick Start Guide (251kb) provides a basic overview of ResearchProfessional.com.
Download our Search Tips, Do's and Dont's and popular Example Searches
Our guidance document How best to search for funding opportunities on RP.com (759kb) contains
- a detailed description of how to use both the Simple and Advanced Search,
- a list of Do's and Dont's, and
- popular Example Searches which you may want to use as the starting point for your own searches. These include example searches for PhD/ DPhil funding, EU funding, early career funding, travel funding, networking/ collaboration funding, funding to host visiting researchers, and foreign funding.