3. Work on asbestos

The CAR and the associated Approved Codes of Practice govern work on asbestos. Work on asbestos insulation or coating, or on asbestos insulation board (AIB), may only be done by contractors licensed by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and all arrangements for such work must be made through Estates Services.

 Some work on materials where asbestos fibres are firmly retained in a matrix (e.g. asbestos cement, or asbestos-containing floor tiles) may not require the use of a licensed asbestos contractor. However, such non-licensed work must still be carried out with the appropriate controls in place, and by properly trained operatives, and is therefore subject to risk assessment by a competent person and the approval of the University Safety Office.

 From April 2012 some non-licensed work with asbestos, where the risk of fibre release is greater, will require notification to the HSE. This work is known as notifiable non-licensed work (NNLW).

 A number of factors are taken into account when deciding whether work is licensed, non-licensed or NNLW.  However, University personnel are not permitted to carry out any of the work described above with any form of asbestos. Any decisions on the work will be taken by the Safety Office in consultation with Estates Services and a competent contractor.