8. ACMs in departmental equipment

Asbestos was used in older laboratory equipment because of its heat resistant properties (e.g. in the linings or door seals of ovens). It can be difficult to identify and may be impossible to distinguish from other materials simply by looking at it.

Departmental workshop staff are most likely to encounter asbestos when dismantling equipment to carry out repairs. They should be made aware of this and be prepared to stop work immediately and seek advice from the University Safety Office if there is any doubt about the nature of the materials they are working with. The Safety Office will organise asbestos awareness courses from time to time and workshop staff should be encouraged to attend.

 Asbestos fire blankets should all have been withdrawn from use and replaced with modern alternatives, but departments should ensure that they notify the Safety Office if any still remain.