Sheldonian Guided Tours Oxford
Guided tours will run on Easter Saturday (26th March), Easter Monday (28th March), the May Bank holidays (2nd and 30th May) and from the 1st June 2016 until September 2016. Bespoke guided tours can be arranged throughout the yearso please contact us for more information.
Ever wondered how the University was formed, how long it’s been in existence and the secrets of its past? Discover all this, together with the history behind the Sheldonian Theatre - the University’s Ceremonial Hall, on a new one-hour guided walking tour.
On the walking tour visitors will see the University Church, the Clarendon and Bodleian Quadrangles and Radcliffe Square. Visitors will also get to sit in the ladies gallery of the Sheldonian Theatre and hear about the origins of Sir Christopher Wren's first major building, which opened in 1669. Throughout the tour, visitors will learn how the University was formed and hear about its rebellious and violent past.
Following the tour visitors are welcome to explore the Theatre’s Cupola at leisure – offering one of the best indoor panoramic views of Oxford famous skyline.
Guided tour highlights
- An unforgettable whistle-stop tour through 900 years of Oxford University history.
- Discover the history of the Sheldonian Theatre, the University's ceremonial hall and Sir Christopher Wren's first major building, opened in 1669.
- Visit the Sheldonian Theatre's Ladies Gallery, Cupola and Attic with its fascinating story boards, as well as the Clarendon and Bodleian Quadrangles, the University Church and Radcliffe Square.
- Enjoy the best indoor panoramic view of Oxford's famous skyline.
Price for scheduled tours
- £8.00 per person.
- Concession rates are available at £6.00 per person; concessions apply to under 18, students, over 60's, University staff and registered disabled and one companion.
- Under 6's go free.
Guided Tour Dates
- The official season starts on 1st June until September 2016 but tours will run on Easter Saturday (26th March), Easter Monday (28th March) and the May Bank holidays (2nd and 30th May)
- Full details of tour dates and times are available here. Sheldonian Theatre (Guided Tours 2016) (776kb)
- If you are interested in a bespoke guided tour, please contact us.
Booking a Tour
Tours can be booked:
- Directly from the visitor information desk at the Sheldonian Theatre, Broad Street, Oxford, OX1 3AZ (on the day and up to a fortnight in advance of the tour date).
- By phone, calling 01865 277299. For group bookings (10 or more), please call us.
- By emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
General Guided Tour Information
- We welcome enquiries from larger parties, such as school or student groups, but would recommend that you book in advance to avoid disappointment.
- The guided tour involves a certain amount of limited walking. It is suitable for families with children.
- Tours are provided for the Sheldonian Theatre by Oxford City Walk Ltd.