Sheldonian Guided Tours Oxford
Ever wondered how the University was formed, how long it’s been in existence and the secrets of its past? Discover all this, together with the history behind the Sheldonian Theatre - the University’s Ceremonial Hall, on a new one-hour guided walking tour.
On the walking tour visitors will see the University Church, the Clarendon and Bodleian Quadrangles and Radcliffe Square. Visitors will also get to sit in the ladies gallery of the Sheldonian Theatre and hear about the origins of Sir Christopher Wren's first major building, which opened in 1669. Throughout the tour, visitors will learn how the University was formed and hear about its rebellious and violent past.
Following the tour visitors are welcome to explore the Theatre’s Cupola at leisure – offering one of the best indoor panoramic views of Oxford famous skyline.
Guided tour highlights
- An unforgettable whistle-stop tour through 900 years of Oxford University history.
- Visit the Clarendon and Bodleian Quadrangles, the University Church and Radcliffe Square.
- Discover the history of the Sheldonian Theatre, the University's ceremonial hall and Sir Christopher Wren's first major building, opened in 1669.
- Visit the Sheldonian Theatre's Ladies Gallery, Cupola and Attic with its fascinating story boards.
- Take fantastic pictures from the Cupola and enjoy the best indoor panoramic view of Oxford's famous skyline.
- £8.00 per person.
- Concession rates are available at £6.00 per person; concessions apply to under 18, students, over 60's, University staff and registered disabled and one companion.
- Under 6's go free.
Availability and booking
Bespoke tours run throughout the year. Contact us with your preferred date and we will check our availability and confirm the date or offer possible alternatives. Contact us:
By phone, calling 01865 277299.
By emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We only run bespoke guided tours thoughout the year with a minimum of 10 people per tour.
Advanced payment is required for bespoke tours. Payment can be made by:
a debit or credit card over the phone
by sending a cheque to University of Oxford, Sheldonian Theatre, Broad Street, Oxford, OX1 3AZ
via an invoice (the value must exceed £50.00).
- We welcome enquiries from family groups, schools, student groups, societies, businesses and other organisations.
- The guided tour involves a certain amount of limited walking. It is suitable for families with children.
- Tours are provided for the Sheldonian Theatre by Oxford City Walk Ltd
- Details on parking can be found on the Find us page.