Regulations for the Delegates of the Oxford University Press
Council Regulations 20 of 2002
Made by Council on 26 June 2002
1. If a Delegate appointed by Council has attended fewer than nine meetings of the Delegates in the course of any academic year, his or her seat shall at the close of that year be declared by the Vice-Chancellor to be vacant and shall then immediately be vacated, subject to the following conditions:
(1) a person elected to fill a casual vacancy shall only be required to attend the same proportion of meetings held subsequent to the date of his or her election as nine bears to the total number of meetings held in the academic year, any fraction being reckoned to the nearest unit;
(2) the Delegates may waive the requirement in the case of a member absent from Oxford for a purpose approved by them.
2. The Finance Committee of the Delegates, established in accordance with section 18 of Statute VIII, shall consist of:
(1) a chairman elected by the Delegates;
(2) the Vice-Chancellor;
(3) the Senior Proctor;
(4)-(9) six members elected by the Delegates from among the appointed Delegates;
(10)-(13) four persons possessing high qualifications in business or finance and appointed by Council after consultation with the Delegacy;
(14) the Secretary to the Delegates and Chief Executive;
(15) the Finance Director;
(16)-(20) not more than five senior officers of the Press appointed by the Delegates.
3. (1) The chairman shall be elected either from among the appointed Delegates or from among persons who have previously served as a Delegate and who have recently served as a member of the Finance Committee.
(2) The chairman and the six members elected from among the appointed Delegates shall hold office for a period not exceeding five years and, so long as they continue to be Delegates, shall be eligible for re-election for successive further periods not exceeding five years; save that a chairman who is not elected from among the appointed Delegates shall serve in that capacity for only one period of five years.
(3) If any Delegate-member of the Finance Committee shall cease to be a Delegate, his or her membership of the committee shall immediately be terminated.
4. The members appointed by Council shall hold office for five years and shall be eligible for reappointment.
5. The senior officers of the Press appointed by the Delegates shall hold office for such periods as the Delegates may determine.
6. (1) The Delegates shall determine the emoluments and allowances to be paid by the Press to the Chairman of the Finance Committee in respect of his or her tenure of that office.
(2) At the request of the Delegates, the Personnel Committee of Council may relieve the chairman of such of his or her regular university duties, and on such terms, as it may determine.
7. (1) The Finance Committee shall submit the minutes of its meetings to the next meeting of the Delegates and shall keep the Delegates informed regarding matters dealt with or under consideration by the Finance Committee.
(2) The Finance Committee may set up such subcommittees as it may from time to time think fit, and such subcommittees may include persons who are not members of the Finance Committee.
8. The accounts of the Delegates shall be subject to the provisions of regulations 9-12 below and shall not be included in the consolidated income and expenditure account, balance sheets, and related statements and notes set out in the Financial Statements of the University prepared and audited under the Financial Regulations.
9. (1) The annual accounts of the Delegates shall be audited according to instructions received from the Delegates by an auditor who shall be appointed annually by Council and shall be paid by the Delegates, and the auditor shall transmit to Council a certificate as to the correctness of the accounts.
(2) The annual accounts shall be presented to the Delegates by the Finance Committee at one of the Delegates' regular stated meetings specified for the purpose, and shall be accompanied by a report on the accounts submitted by the committee.
10. (1) The audited accounts of the Delegates, together with the Finance Committee's report and an abstract of the accounts, shall be submitted to Council under arrangements approved by Council.
(2) The Chairman of the Finance Committee (or his or her deputy), the Secretary to the Delegates and Chief Executive (or his or her deputy), and the Auditor of the Press Accounts shall make themselves available in person to supply, and shall supply, such further explanations of the accounts and of the report as may be required in accordance with arrangements prescribed under paragraph (1) above.
11. The abstract of the accounts and the auditor's certificate provided for in regulations 9 (1) and 10 (1) above shall be published in the University Gazette as part of the report referred to in regulation 12 below.
12. The Delegates shall submit to Council annually a report on the general state and activities of the Press which shall, subject to the authorisation of Council, be published in the University Gazette.