Regulations for Committees Reporting Directly to Council or one of its Main Committees
Council Regulations 15 of 2002
Made by Council on 26 June 2002
Part 29: Socially Responsible Investment Review Committee
Made by Council on 19 March 2008
Amended on 15 January 2009, 26 March 2009 (Gazette Vol.139, p. 929), 18 March 2010, 27 October 2011 and 22 November 2012
Renumbered on 28 July 2011
29.1. The Socially Responsible Investment Review Committee shall consist of:
(1) a Chairman appointed by Council who is not a member of Council;
(2) the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research) or the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Education) as shall be determined by Council from time to time;
(3) a member of the Committee to Review Donations appointed by Council;
(4)–(6) up to three external persons appointed by Council who shall bring recent and relevant expertise of investment management to the working of the committee;
(7) a member of Congregation elected by Congregation from members of the faculties in the Divisions of Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences and of Medical Sciences;
(8) a member of Congregation elected by Congregation from members of the faculties in the Divisions of Humanities and of Social Sciences;
(9) a student member appointed by the Executive of the Oxford University Student Union from among their own number.
29.2. The committee shall review the University’s policy on socially responsible investment and its implementation at least every five years and submit to Council any changes it may wish to propose.
29.3. The committee shall consider representations concerning the policy on socially responsible investment and proposals to invest or disinvest submitted to it as set out in (1) (a)–(c) below to ensure that they are consistent with the policy statement, seek the views of the Investment Committee on the efficacy and costs of implementation where appropriate, and make a recommendation to Council where appropriate.
(1) Representations concerning the policy on socially responsible investment and proposals to invest or disinvest may be submitted to the committee as follows:
(a) by Council, the Investment Committee or any other committee reporting directly to Council;
(b) by 20 or more members of Congregation;
(c) by a majority resolution of the Council of the Oxford University Student Union.
29.4. The committee shall make such recommendations to Council as it thinks fit on positive or negative screening, or on engagement strategy, in respect of its investments.
29.5. The committee shall make a report to Council annually on the proposals considered under regulation 29.3 (1), on an assessment of the University’s investments against its defined policy statement on Socially Responsible Investment and on any other relevant matters, through the General Purposes Committee of Council.
29.6. Regulations 1.6 and 1.7 in Part 1 apply to this committee except that the quorum is one third plus one of those members eligible to vote upon the business of the committee (rounded to the nearest integer).