Regulations for Committees Reporting Directly to Council or one of its Main Committees
Council Regulations 15 of 2002
Made by Council on 26 June 2002
Part 10: Buildings and Estates Subcommittee
Amended on 14 July 2005, 4 May 2006, 22 May 2008 (date of effect 1 October 2008), 25 June 2010 and 8 February 2013
Renumbered on 28 July 2011
10.1. The Buildings and Estates Subcommittee of the Planning and Resource Allocation Committee shall consist of:
(1) a Chairman, who shall be appointed by Council, who shall also serve on the Planning and Resource Allocation Committee of Council;
(2) the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Planning and Resources);
(3)–(6) one person appointed by each of the divisional boards;
(7) the Director of University Library Services and Bodley's Librarian or a person nominated by the director;
(8) a person appointed by the Oxford University Museums Board from among the directors of the University's museums;
(9), (10) two persons elected by Congregation.
10.2. The subcommittee may co-opt up to two additional members, who may be external.
10.3. (1) The subcommittee shall be responsible to the Planning and Resource Allocation Committee for management and maintenance of the functional estate, except for matters which are the responsibility of divisions, the Capital Steering Group and other bodies.
(2) The functional estate is defined as university-owned or leased land and property occupied by university bodies and excludes investment property and property which is the responsibility of the Property Management Subcommittee.
(3) The Planning and Resource Allocation Committee shall make delegations to the subcommittee to take decisions, and the subcommittee shall consider and make recommendations to the committee on estates matters outside its delegation.
(4) The Registrar shall appoint the Director of Estates and University Surveyor to act as the chief executive officer of the subcommittee.
10.4. (1) In particular, the subcommittee shall:
(a) consider and advise the Planning and Resource Allocation Committee on the allocation of land and property in the functional estate;
(b) oversee the repairs and maintenance programmes undertaken by the Director of Estates and University Surveyor and the arrangements for car parking;
(c) consider and recommend to the Planning and Resource Allocation Committee proposals for the strategic development of the functional estate, taking into account institutional plans and environmental, planning, and heritage issues;
(d) oversee the initiation and management of the design and construction of all major projects, within pre approved financial limits.
(2) The subcommittee shall issue regulations for the maintenance of, and all works in, buildings on the functional estate and for parking in university-controlled car parks.