Regulations for Committees Reporting Directly to Council or one of its Main Committees
Council Regulations 15 of 2002
Made by Council on 26 June 2002
Part 19: Finance Committee
Amended on 1 June 2006 (Gazette Vol. 139, p. 474, 18 December 2008), 22 May 2008 (date of effect 1 October 2008), 18 March 2010, 22 July 2010, 27 October 2011 and 26 April 2012
Renumbered on 28 July 2011
19.1. The Finance Committee shall consist of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor;
(2)–(5) four external persons appointed by Council, of whom at least two shall be members of Council;
(6) a person appointed by Council from among the members of Council elected by Congregation;
(7) a Head of House appointed by the Conference of Colleges.
19.2. Subject to the approval of Council on each occasion, the committee may co-opt up to two additional members.
19.3. No member of the Audit and Scrutiny Committee may also serve as a member of the Finance Committee.
19.4. The committee shall be responsible for:
(1) the consideration of the financial resources available to the University, and the proposal of a five-year financial strategy for the University (incorporating the overall income and expenditure budget and overall capital expenditure budget) on an annual rolling basis, for approval by Council and communication to the Planning and Resource Allocation Committee;
(2) the provision of advice to Council on the needs of the University as established by its plans, in order that Council can take these views into account when establishing capital investment policy;
(3) as appropriate, consideration of, and provision of advice to Council on, the HEFCE financial forecast together with aspects of the financial relationships between the University, HEFCE, and other external funding bodies;
(4) the review of, and provision of advice to Council on, University's annual financial statements , prior to their approval by Council;
(5) the review of, and provision of advice to Council on, the annual accounts of the Delegates of the University Press and the report on the accounts produced by the Finance Committee of the Delegates;
(6) the approval of the University's banking and treasury arrangements;
(7) such other action on behalf of Council in relation to the University's financial business as may be required from time to time.
19.5. Regulations 1.6 and 1.7 in Part 1 apply to this committee except that the quorum is one third plus one of those members eligible to vote upon the business of the committee (rounded to the nearest integer).