Regulations for Committees Reporting Directly to Council or one of its Main Committees
Council Regulations 15 of 2002
Made by Council on 26 June 2002
Part 30: University Sports Strategic Subcommittee of the Education Committee
Amended on 24 December 2010, 3 August 2012 (date of effect 1 October 2012) and 8 March 2013 (Gazette, Vol. 143, p. 372-373, 21 February 2013)
Renumbered on 28 July 2011
30.1. The University Sports Strategic Subcommittee of the Education Committee shall consist of:
(1) a chairman appointed by the Vice-Chancellor from amongst the members of Education Committee;
(2) one of the Proctors or the Assessor as may be agreed between them;
(3), (4) two persons elected by the Conference of Colleges;
(5) one person from amongst the four academic divisions as may be agreed between the divisions;
(6) one person appointed by the Director of Estates;
(7) the President of the Men's Blues Committee;
(8) the President of the Women's Blues Committee;
(9) the President of the Sports Federation;
(10) the Director of Sport;
(11) the Head of Development - Sport;
(12) the Director of Student Administration and Services;
(13) a staff representative;1
(14) a sabbatical officer of the Oxford University Student Union, nominated by that body.
30.2. The subcommittee shall report to the Education Committee and shall meet not less than three times a year, normally at least once in each term.
30.3. Elected or appointed members shall hold office for a period of three years and shall be eligible to serve for a total period of six years. With the approval of the Education Committee on each occasion, the subcommittee may co-opt up to two additional members, who are alumni of the University and who shall be chosen so as to bring to the committee high-level expertise in sport or well-being. Co-opted members will hold office for two years and shall be eligible to serve for a total period of four years.
30.4. With the approval of the Education Committee, the subcommittee may establish such panels or groups in relation to operational matters as it deems necessary. It must establish a Sports Safety Panel meeting at least once a year.
30.5. The subcommittee shall be responsible to the Education Committee for the following matters:
(1) to provide the strategic direction for University's approach to sport;
(2) to be responsible for the promotion and management of sport and recreation within the University;
(3) operationally, to encourage closer sporting cooperation between the University and its colleges;
(4) to promote and encourage the active participation in sport and physical activity for both students and staff;
(5) to oversee the University's management of sport, and to ensure its accountability to both its funders and its users;
(6) to be the forum for discussion and planning on existing and future sport provision.
1This is an agreed appointment by the Joint Committee for University Support Staff (JCUSS) and Joint Committee with UCU (University and College Union).