Regulations for the Oxford University Museum of Natural History
Council Regulations 48 of 2002
Made by Council on 5 December 2002
1. The purpose of the Oxford University Museum of Natural History is to assemble, preserve, and exhibit the University's natural history collections and to promote research, teaching, and public education in the natural sciences based on the museum's collections.
2. The Visitors of the Oxford University Museum of Natural History shall be:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor;
(2) a chairman who shall be appointed by the Vice-Chancellor;
(3) the Pro-Vice-Chancellor with responsibility for Gardens, Libraries and Museums;
(4) one of the Proctors or the Assessor as may be agreed between them;
(5)-(8) four persons appointed by Council, of whom two shall be external persons;
(9) the Hope Professor of Zoology (Entomology) or his or her nominee;
(10) the Linacre Professor of Zoology or his or her nominee;
(11) the Professor of Geology or his or her nominee;
(12) the Professor of Geochemistry or his or her nominee;
(13) the Director of the Pitt Rivers Museum;
(14) the Head of the Department of Zoology if not already a member under paragraph (9) or paragraph (10) above;
(15) the Head of the Department of Earth Sciences if not already a member under paragraph (11) or paragraph (12) above.
3. (1) The Visitors may co-opt up to three additional members, who need not be members of Congregation.
(2) The period of office for appointed and co-opted members shall be three years, and no appointed, elected, or co-opted member shall serve more than two consecutive full terms of office. Casual terms of office shall not count towards this limit.
(3) Notwithstanding regulation (2) above, in the case of appointed and co-opted members the General Purposes Committee of Council may determine that one further consecutive period is permitted in an individual case.
4. The Director of the Oxford University Museum of Natural History shall be the secretary to the Visitors, except that the Visitors may require him or her to withdraw from any meeting.
5. In fulfilment of their responsibilities, under Council, for the safe keeping, preservation, orderly administration, finance, and general policy of the museum, in accordance with section 10 of Statute VIII, the Visitors:
(1) shall, subject to the provisions of regulations 11, 13, and 14 below, appoint, or delegate the appointment of, all staff in the museum in accordance with procedures set out in standing orders;
(2) shall prepare annually a report on the activities of the museum.
6. The Visitors shall have authority, under Council and the Oxford University Museums Board, to make such other arrangements by standing order as are necessary to fulfil their responsibilities.
7. In carrying out their responsibilities the Visitors shall co-operate with the Oxford University Museums Board in facilitating co-ordination between the University's museums and scientific collections, particularly with respect to planning, allocation and use of resources, and the development, care, and promotion of the collections as national and international resources both for teaching and research and for public access.
8. The Director of the Oxford University Museum of Natural History shall be the first officer of the museum, and shall act for and be responsible to the Visitors in the exercise of their powers.
9. The Director shall be responsible, under the Visitors, for all strategic aspects of the operation and well-being of the museum, including:
(1) the allocation and development of space and other resources;
(2) the distribution of support and other facilities;
(3) acquisitions policy;
(4) the conservation and study of the collections, and their display and publication; and
(5) the participation in, and fostering of, scholarly work and public education within the museum.
10. The Director shall give sixteen lectures or classes in each academic year under the direction of the Visitors in consultation with the relevant divisional board or boards.
11. The Director shall be appointed by a board of electors consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or, if the head of the college specified in paragraph (2) of this regulation is Vice-Chancellor, a person appointed by Council;
(2) the head of the college with which the directorship is on that occasion associated, or, if the head is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the governing body of the college;
(3) a person appointed by the governing body of the college specified in paragraph (2) of this regulation;
(4) a person appointed by Council;
(5),(6) two persons appointed by the Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences Board;
(7)-(9) three persons appointed by the Visitors of the Oxford University Museum of Natural History.
12. There shall be the following Curators in the museum, responsible to the Director for the collections in their care:
(1) the Curator of the Zoological Collections;
(2) the Curator of the Entomological Collections;
(3) the Curator of the Geological Collections;
(4) the Curator of the Mineralogical Collections.
13. The Curatorships of the Zoological and of the Entomological Collections shall be held jointly with academic appointments in the Department of Zoology, and the Curatorships of the Geological and of the Mineralogical Collections shall be held jointly with academic appointments in the Department of Earth Sciences under such arrangements as may be agreed between the Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences Board and the Visitors.
14. The Curators may attend (but not vote at) any meeting of the Visitors, except that the Visitors may require them to withdraw from any meeting.