Travel Health

The Travel Clinic of the University Occupational Health Service provides travel advice, immunisations, and antimalarial prophylaxis to University employees, and specified Non-Employee Eligible Groups (see below) travelling on University business. This may include undertaking research abroad, attending conferences or going on field trips.

To book an appointment, please complete a Travel Health Assessment Form (29kb) and send it to Occupational Health Services. OHS will assess your trip based on the information provided and offer an appointment and/or advice if required. As part of this assessment, OHS will look at the activities you will be undertaking and the potential health implications of them on your trip.

Please ensure that travel forms are sent to OHS in a timely fashion as some vaccination courses require some time to become effective.

Please also note that Occupational Health do not provide vaccinations for the following:

  • Leisure or sporting activities
  • Student expeditions unrelated to the University
  • Personal travel

Non-Employee Eligible Groups

  • Medical Students – May attend the Travel Clinic for certain placements abroad, and are required to see the Travel Health Physician before Elective travel. Do remember that your placements in the UK and your study plans may reduce the time available for you to attend an appointment in time to complete courses of vaccines or paperwork.
  • Masters Students – Eligibility depends on the content of your course. You are able to attend the Travel Clinic but it may be necessary to pay individually for the necessary consultation, vaccinations and/or antimalarials.
  • DPhil Students – You are able to attend the Travel Clinic. However, it will be necessary for us to confirm your status as an employee, or any arrangement with your department, otherwise any costs as a student, of consultation, vaccinations and/or antimalarials given, may be incurred by you. 
  • Expeditions – At present, the Expeditions Council requires all official Oxford University expeditions to complete certain medical requirements prior to departure. This includes the appointment of a member to the role of Medical Officer who then attends the Travel Clinic for advice on immunisations and antimalarials. This information is then given to individual members of the expedition who then attend either their GP or the OHS Travel Clinic for the necessary consultation, vaccinations and prescriptions for antimalarial drugs. 


Can I come to the travel clinic for an appointment for personal travel?

The travel clinic is only for travel on University-related business.

My partner is coming with me on my trip for the University. Can they get an appointment with OHS as well?    

Appointments are only offered to University employees or those Non-Employee Eligible Groups stated above.

Are there associated costs with attending the Travel Clinic?

Individuals or departments will be invoiced for services provided to either employees or those who fall within one of the Non-Employee Eligible Groups travelling on University business. Prices have been set to be competitive, as well as more convenient, with GP and independent travel clinics. For information about the associated costs, please see Travel Clinic Costs (54kb)

Is the OHS Travel Clinic a registered Yellow Fever centre?

Yes. The OHS Travel Clinic is fully registered to provide Yellow Fever vaccinations.

Can the OHS Travel Clinic provide vaccination certificates required for Visas?

Yes. We can provide certificates for all vaccinations carried out by OHS and any other vaccination for which we have received validated records. Replacement certificates will incur a charge.

Am I insured by the University for University-related Travel?

Please visit the University’s Finance team’s webpages for more information on travel insurance.