Liability Insurance

Employers' Liability

The current Employers' Liability Certificate is available to download from the right-hand menu of this page.

Ministry of Justice (MoJ) reforms: Employers’ and Public Liability Procedural Changes (31/07/13)

The Government has recently announced major changes to the legal procedures that relate to the timescales for handling civil litigation claims, including those for personal injury compensation. This has resulted in the introduction of a new claims procedure for these matters. For more information please refer to:

The University arranges the following liability insurance policies:

  • Employers Liability Insurance
  • Public / Products Liability Insurance
  • Professional Indemnity Insurance

With all legal liability insurances cover operates only for those acts or omissions for which there is a liability at law.

Employees based overseas

Legal requirements for liability insurances differ for staff based overseas. In order to arrange insurance to suit the relevant country's legal requirements please contact the Insurance Team.


If you think that a claim, summons or legal correspondence concerning the above could potentially arise after an event, you should contact the Insurance Team or Legal Services Office immediately.

For Employers' and Public Liability claims please refer to the revised Employers' and Public Liability Claims Procedure (524kb)


There is no excess payable under the Public, Products or Employers' Liability covers.

An excess of £2,500 applies in respect of any Professional Indemnity claim, payable by the department concerned.

Claims Portal - Important Information for Claimant Solicitors

The University of Oxford expects that all related notification of claims from Solicitors or Claimant Representatives will be by means of an electronic Claim Notification Form (CNF) submitted to the University through the Claims Portal. The following information is provided to assist you in submitting public and employers' liability claims directly via the portal:

University of Oxford Portal Compensator ID: G00574

Liability insurance for the use of drones and unmanned aerial vehicles

Use of drones by the University:

Liability cover is available, upon application, for the use of drones and unmanned aerial vehicles, on University business, as follows:

  • Liability cover for unmanned aerial vehicles up to 20kg in weight excluding fuel but inclusive of any articles or equipment installed in or attached to the vehicle at the commencement of flight. Subject to the operator complying with all legislation and licensing regulations.
  • In respect of any Injury, damage or financial loss sustained in connection with unmanned aerial vehicles the limit of indemnity provided is £5,000,000.
  • Requests for cover should be submitted to the University Insurance Team. Please note full details of the vehicle and activity will be required along with a copy of a detailed risk assessment, approved by the University Safety Office.

Use of Drones By A third Party

In order to consider the use of drones by a third party in or around University buildings or at University organised events, the department should

  • Provide the University Insurance Team with a detailed risk assessment as well as confirmation that all requirements of the Civil Aviation Authority are complied with.
  • Provide evidence of the operator’s liability insurance specifically for the flying of drones (standard public liability insurance does not always include such cover). A minimum £10 million limit of indemnity is required.