BHF's Grant Management System (GMS)
On 25 January 2012, the British Heart Foundation launched their new online Grants Management System (GMS). BHF grant applicants will now be able to apply for all fellowships, project, programme, special project and horizons grants online through the online system.
Please note that the GMS currently only works in Internet Explorer and Safari. It will not currently work in Firefox; in particular, the 'Register' button will not open the correct page in Firefox.
GMS is accessible only by registered users and will be used by:
- Applicants to apply for research grants by completing an application form online
- Co-applicants to review and complete their sections of an application
- Applicants’ colleagues (Heads of Department, Finance Officers) to check and approve applications including final approval by the Administrative Authority (Research Services).
- Scientists selected by the BHF to peer review applications.
Online grant applications through GMS will not be available for the following type of grant applications
- Personal Chairs
- Strategic Initiatives
Step by step guide
Please note that different processes apply to different schemes. The below guidelines are meant as general guidance only, but please do use the British Heart Foundation's user guide and contact their Help team from within their electronic application system if your query cannot be answered in the user guide.
- Step 1 - create a user account
- Step 2 - create an application (via the online form)
- Step 3 - complete the application
- Step 4 - 'Head of Department' submits the application to Research Services
- Step 5 - submit the X5 costing to Research Services
- Step 6 - Research Services checks the application
- Step 7 - PI makes any necessary amendments to the application
- Step 8 - application is re-checked and submitted by Research Services
- Step 9 - notification of receipt of application
Step 1 - create a user account
PI's and other relevant parties first need to create a GMS user account.
Step 2 - create an application (via the online form)
The PI needs to log-in and complete an online form similar to the old paper form. The online form has 4 sections:
i) Additional Stakeholders. If there are other stakeholders such as a Co-I or Collaborators they need to be indicated on the form via the radio button.
ii) Head of Department. The PI then needs to enter the Head of Department’s details as shown on the form. Details need to be entered correctly, this is especially important for the email address as this is how the email alert system works to progress the application to the next stage. If there are any errors in the email addresses (e.g Anthony rather than Antony), the submission process fails and then has to be put back to the beginning by the BHS GMS helpdesk and restarted.
For the ‘Institute’ section, use the drop down arrow and select ‘University of Oxford’.
iii) Administrative Authority (Research Services). The PI also needs to enter the Administrative Authority details as shown on the form. The email address for Research Services will be either:
- email@example.com for the Medical Sciences Division team (account owner will be Julie), or
- firstname.lastname@example.org the Science Area Division team (account name will be Research Services Science Area – account owner will be Claire Perriton)
- If PI's are unsure about whom to add, they should contact their RS Divisional Teams.
iv) Payee Institute Details. Use the drop down arrow and select ‘University of Oxford’.
Step 3 - complete the application
The online application form consists of six pages and follows a standard layout (similar to the paper forms available on the BHF website), which asks for the applicant name, grant title, abstract, duration, costs etc., to be entered online along with an attachment of a single PDF file containing the main text of the application and any supplementary information. Detailed instructions can be found on the website whilst completing the form.
Once the online form is complete, the application itself and any related documents will need to be uploaded to the account (again, instructions can be found online).
- The PI will press 'Submit' which will then generate an email alert to the Co-I (if they have been listed) so they can review it. If the Co-I has not registered, then they will be prompted to do so via a link (as they will need to be registered to view the document).
- If the application is acceptable then the Co-I will press 'Submit' which will then trigger an email alert to the Head of Department (HoD). If the HoD has not registered, then they will be prompted to do so via a link (as they will need to be registered to view the document).
- The HoD will then press 'Submit' to approve the application, which will then trigger an email to the ‘Administrative Authority’ (Research Services) which has the authority to finally submit to the BHF.
Important: If the application is rejected at any stage (by Co-applicant, Head of Department, or the 'Administrative Authority') the PI will need to change and edit the form and will have to start the approval process from the beginning again.
Step 4 - 'Head of Department' submits the application to Research Services
The 'Head of Department' will receive an email notifying them that an application is awaiting their approval. The 'Head of Department' will need to log in to the BHF Online system and review the application.
The 'Head of Department' then submits the application to Research Services FIVE WORKING DAYS in advance of the deadline. This is done by pressing the 'Submit' option on the form which will trigger an email to the 'Administrative Authority' (Research Services).
Step 5 - submit the X5 costing to Research Services
The Department must submit the X5 costing FIVE WORKING DAYS in advance to Research Services.
Step 6 - Research Services checks the application
Research Services will check the application within five working days and will notify the PI of any amendments that are needed or recommended. If any changes are required Research Services will 'Reject' the application back to the PI.
Step 7 - PI makes any necessary amendments to the applicationWhen an application is rejected, the application’s status changes to 'Reject' in the PI’s 'My Application’ page. The PI (and only the PI) must then re-edit the application and has to restart the approval process from the beginning i.e. the application will be sent to the Co-applicant (if applicable), HoD and then finally to the Research Services.
Step 8 - application is re-checked and submitted by Research Services
Once the HoD has submitted the application, Research Services (the 'Administrative Authority') will receive an email alert so they can review the completed application.
Research Services will re-check the amended application and arrange for an authorised signatory to submit the final application to the BHF.
Please note that Research Services can't submit applications after 5 pm regardless of the deadline set by the sponsor.
Step 9 - notification of receipt of application
Once the application form has been approved by the 'Administrative Authority' (Research Services) and submitted to the BHF the PI will be sent an email advising them that the application has been received.
At what stage will Research Services or the PI be able to download a complete PDF of the full application?
When the online submission reaches Research Services (the 'Administrative Authority'), the divisional team / PI will be able to request a copy of the draft PDF via email.
What if the application get's 'lost' in the BHF GMS system - i.e. the application is not viewable by the co-applicant or HoD?
You will need to check the email addresses which have been added on the application as if any of these are incorrect (e.g. Anthony rather than Antony) it will prevent the progression through to the next stage. If this is the case, please contact the BHS GMS helpdesk so they can change the email address and restart the approval process.