Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I get fire signs?

From the Safety Office, please call (2)70811

How do I arrange for fire training?

In addition to the scheduled course(s), this course may also run on request. In such cases, where there are sufficient numbers, the course may be held at or near your department. Please contact the University Fire Officer by email:

Who tests fire extinguishers and when?

 The company is Abbot Fire but please contact Estates DLO to arrange this.

How do I know when Pyrotec will visit to inspect the fire alarms?

Pyrotec visits 2016 (104kb)

Where can I get fire extinguishers?

 Please speak to your Area Safety Officer for replacement fire extinguishers in the first instance. If your ASO identifies a need for and additional fire extinguisger they will need to speak with the University Fire Officer.

Someone keeps propping open the fire door, who do we tell?

Please advise your Area Safety Officer in the first instance.

How often do we do a fire drill?

Once the emergency plan has been developed and training given, you will need to evaluate its effectiveness. The best way to do this is to perform a fire drill. This should be carried out at least annually or as determined by your fire risk assessment.

 We held a fire drill, and not everyone evacuated, who is responsible for this?

Once staff have received fire safety training, and are aware of the fire procedures, they have a responsibility to comply with the procedures. If not everyone responds to the fire alarm signal, it would be reasonable to investigate why, and reiterate to individuals the requirement to comply with fire procedures.

"Our fire alarm is making beeping noises, what do I do?"

The beeping noises generally indicate an actuation in another location, or more likely, a fault on the system. If the system does have a fault the beeping should be backed up with some kind of visual display, either an LED marked as a fault, or a message on the alarm display. If in doubt, contact someone with more knowledge of the system, or call a service engineer.

Where do I get more guidance on Fire Risk Assessments?

Please speak with your Area Safety Officer. Further guidance can be found here:

Where can I get guidance on producing fire emergency procedures?

The starting point for writing, or reviewing fire emergency procedures, is to simply ask what tasks need to be carried out in a fire incident, that are not covered in the Fire Action Notice.

These could include the following;

Who interrogates the fire alarm panel?

Who goes to investigate the device activated?

Who confirms that the Fire Service has been called?

Who oversees an evacuation?

Who, if anyone, walks the floors?

Who assists those who need assistance?

Who greets the Fire Service?

Who shuts down equipment where this is necessary?

An example of this can be found here: Example of a Fire Emergency Plan (443kb)

Government guidance for educational buildings provides further information (see pages 34 and 108).

Should we have Fire Wardens in our building?

The key requirements as regards fire evacuation are as follows;

1. Establish appropriate procedures to be followed in the event of fire;

2. Give effect to those procedures, when fire occurs; and

3. Nominate people to give effect to those procedures.

It is common for Fire Wardens to be appointed to satisfy these requirements, but is not necessary in all buildings. Government guidance for educational buildings provides further information (see page 112).

Where do I find guidance on producing a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan?

Detailed advice on producing PEEP’s is given in Government guidance titled Fire safety risk assessment: means of escape for disabled people. An example draft DRAFT PEEP (34kb) is available to view, which is based upon the Government guidance. Some of the sections are populated to illustrate how details of a plan could be recorded.